What’s that old definition of insanity? “Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results”?
Let me challenge you today to change-up something:
- Do you audition in the AM?…try the evening.
- Do you have a $1000+ mic you ALWAYS use. Try the $300 one over there in the corner gathering dust.
- Email campaigns not working? Try a cold call once in a while.
- Do you sit to audition? Try standing.
- Are you working too hard…stressing? Take a day off.
- Foundering on Facebook? Do Pinterest instead for a week.
- Social Media taking too much time? Open a hard-back book.
- Feeling isolated in your booth? Make a phone call to a VO friend. Just because.
- Do you address a mic that’s hanging down? Reposition it to be standing up.
- Feeling rusty? Review notes from your last coaching session.
- Record in a different room with your best mobile set-up. See what clients say.
- Tired of your Mac? Try a PC! (or vice-versa)
- For once, use your other DAW that you have in mothballs “just in case”.
- Read copy through 5 times (or more) before saying a word.
- The item in your business plan that’s gone undone?…do it!…or delete it.
- Try different settings on your pre-amp.
- Switch-up the canned response in your audition replies.
- Do one thing different before entering your booth…physically, mentally, spiritually.
- Find a better software solution for tracking clients.
- Drink only purified or distilled water for two days as liquid intake.
- Do Rodney Saulsberry’s vocal warm-up before turning on the mic.
- Never tried improv? Contact Rebecca Haugh.
See? I’ll bet you can think of even more ways to tweak just one little thing in your routine that will not endanger your business, but might just jog you out of the patterns that are a hindrance to your progress.
If so, please add them to the comments on this blog.
[Quiz: What did I mix up in today’s blog from something I ALWAYS DO?]