OK, I’m guilty of cynicism.
Being of “that generation”, and still believing that legacy announcer voices have some place in this world besides automotive commercials, I naturally perked up when I saw the listing in Radio World Magazine for an announcer.
I mean, isn’t it against the law to even use that word – announcer – now? Doesn’t it break some rule of political correctedness?
Well tell that to the people of public radio Portland! God Bless ’em! They’re looking for an announcer-type, now mind you there’s a long list of other skills they hope to find in a candidate:
- Journalism experience
- Experience and demonstrated ability to use digital audio recording and editing equipment.
- On-air reading skills that engage the listener.
- Excellent writing, listening, and organizational skills.
- Able to make appropriate decisions under stress
- Computer literate.
- Ability to work well alone and in a team environment.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the services and mission of OPB.
- Must live in Portland
….but, hey, other than all that, they’re not too particular! (Oh, and the position is for part-time fill-in)
Don’t tell ME the announcer has gone the way of the Brontosaurus!
See legitimate listing here: