Fixing Your Demos on the “New” LinkedIn

by | Dec 12, 2012 | Social Media/Networking, SoundCloud | 12 comments

linkedin-logoMost of you know I’m a big LinkedIn fan.  Of all the social networks, LinkedIn offers the most rich feature set for searching and researching your business prospects.  Oh, and they’ve got hundreds of millions of members, too.  ;-}

One of the nice things about LinkedIn (until now) was the association it had with Box.net.  Using the Box.net LinkedIn “app”, you could store your Demos on Box, and they would appear in your LinkedIn profile.

Not any more.

LinkedIn is rolling out a  major overhaul of its interface…both cosmetically, and under the hood.  Gone is the Box.net app, and your demos.

Luckily, LinkedIn had the foresight to offer a really decent alternative, and I’ve got the links to show you how to do it.  By the way, my thanks to Tom Dheere for bringing this to my attention.  Seeking an answer to his question of how to replace the Box.net demos led me to finding the work-around.

LinkedIn now lets you post links to all sorts of media right in your profile.  To be able to post your demos, then on your LinkedIn site, you’ll have to have your soundfiles stored in an online service like AudioBoo or SoundCloud.  Actually LinkedIn accepts many more audio, video, image and presentation files than ever before.  Go to their PROFILE MEDIA LINK PROVIDERS page to see all the media they accept.

Got it?

OK, now go to LinkedIn’s page explaining how to add your files to your profile: ADDING MEDIA LINKS ON YOUR PROFILEA crucial point here, is that you can only add these media links to the following sections of your profile: Summary, Education, Experience.

It works like a charm, and I’m not so sure it isn’t better than the Box.net arrangement.

Below is a screen capture of my demos, now added to the “Summary” section of my profile.

LinkedIn

Let me know if you need any help!

Comments

comments

1. Rick Lance

Thanks for the tip Dave… and to you Tom!

2. David Sigmon

Thank you professor. It is good to have you in our corner each week.

3. Sherril Stewart

Thanks for posting this very useful NEW info Dave!!
    I know some V Actors have become quite frustrated when attempting to post media links to LinkedIn.
    Special thanks to Tom Dheere (the H is silent and I am glad that he is NOT! : http://www.tomdheere.com/

4. Bob Hurley

Thanks for the kick in the pants, Dave. Needed that.

5. Patrick Sweeney

Dave thanks again for another key tip. You’re always cutting edge and consistently have out best interests at heart. Appreciate you bringing it to my attention and thanks Tom for making Dave aware of it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Pat

Patrick,

You’re more than welcome! I’m glad you found it useful…makes my day!

Best to you and yours this Christmas.

dave courvoisier

6. Dave Wallace

FINALLY got around to doing this. Thanks, Dave!

7. Charlotte Ann

Hey Dave! As always, great info. I’m actually coming back to reference this post since I’m updating my animation demo on Linkedin. My commercial and IVR demos from soundcloud post just fine, just like yours, but my animation demo, when clicked on, just says “Read Original” and you have to click on that which then directs you to soundclouds site, rather than posting the actual soundcloud file. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

• Charlotte Ann

Oh, oh!! I fixed it. Seemed to be a problem with the soundcloud file. I re-uploaded it to soundcloud and now it works. Hmrph. Random.

8. Rosie

Hi Dave:
    Thank you for the great information on “your demos onto LinkedIn” My question is….
    Can we use Dropbox just as well as the ones you mentioned?
    Sincerely,
    Rosie Goodman

Rosie,

I confess I have no idea if DropBox would work.

It’s been a while since I wrote that, and OMG, LinkedIn has engaged in SO MANY changes since then.

In the short term, I’d say give it a whirl, and see if it works. I’ll try to knock around and find an answer for you.