3 New Blues at CES

by | Jan 11, 2012 | Conferences, Mics | 18 comments

After a refreshing 5 hours of sleep, I forced myself out of bed, and down to the Las Vegas Convention Center Tuesday morning for the Consumer Electronics Show.

My main goal was the Blue Microphone booth, but go ahead….try….just try to keep your attention on only one thing when a tempting cornucopia of visual stimuli reaches out to grab you with every step on the exhibit floor.

Barely had I arrived at the Blue Mic booth when the king of geeks bumps into me!  An old friend some of you may know (if you’re geeky enough)  John Pozadzides.  Don’t try to pronounce the last name, everybody just calls him John P.

John has made and sold more fortunes than I have fingers and toes.  He’s an internet, social media, and marketing genius.   In the last couple of years he’s put all  his considerable talent and resources into GeekBeat.tv.  Maybe you’ve seen it.  He is THE force behind the show, even though Cali Lewis is probably their most conspicuous spokesperson. (She was over doing a full-time show gig at the huge Panasonic Booth).

Why am I telling you this?…because just as I was dragging out my camera to do the Blue Mic interview with the booth salesman for this blog, John P. shows up with a professional video crew, a hand-held mic, and an interview subject all ready to go!  My meager little mini-cam with ambient mic wouldn’t compare.  In fact, there are about as many cam crews around the show floor as there are Elvis Presley imitators in Vegas.

Below, then, is the nicely-composed interview John did with Hillary Money of Blue Microphones on the Mikey, Tiki, and Spark Digital.  Maybe  you’ll recognize someone in this video:

I hate to admit it, but this TV guy was trumped by John P.  He did a fine job, doncha think?

Hillary gave me a complete press kit on a 1-Gig thumbdrive, and below is that info for you to download.

So, the Tiki ($50), the Mikey (~$100), and the Spark Digital (~$200) are all due out in “the Spring” (probably March).  Which one are you getting?

Blue Mics_Tiki
BlueMic_Tiki_productsheet

Blue Mics_Mikey Digital
BlueMic_MIKEYdigital_productsheet

Blue Mics_Spark Digital
BlueMic_SparkDigital_productsheet

I’ll have more on Blue, other products, some more video (my own) and comments on some interesting VO people I ran into at CES, tomorrow on this blog!

Comments

comments

1. Deb Stamp

Decisions, decisions…. this is such great news. Sure do appreciate you being our eyes and ears, Dave.

You’re more than welcome, Deb… I love this stuff, and I meet great people and learn so much in the process!

I appreciate you’re visiting to comment.

2. Paul Strikwerda

Hillary Money talks about “The VooDoo inside of Tiki.” Geek Talk has become a lot more fun these days!

Thanks for that, Dave.

Desktop microphones such as the new version of Spark and the Samson Meteor are a bit more susceptible to vibration because they’re not suspended in a shock mount. For on the road, these guys seem to be a great solution.

I wonder how long the new Mickey will last. It depends on what Apple will do with the new iPhone.

Thanks, Paul…

As I mentioned in response to this same post on FB…the Digital Spark comes with a shock mount and two adapter cables, one for USB, and the other for XLR.

At $200…it’s probably something worth checking out once they’re available in the Spring.

Thanks for being one of my readers!

3. Randye Kaye

Dave CourVO, the “institution”! – thanks so much Dave for braving the Expo to share this with us – I want all 3!!!!!

You’re welcome, Randye! I can’t stop myself! ‘Havin’ too much fun!

4. Rick Lance

Wow… Voodoo… Who knew?
    I could use some good Voodoo in my studioo!

Yeah, Rick…funny that she introduced that term…kinda makes it seem less scientific, and more “smoke and mirrors”…but if it works, so what?

Thanks for stopping by.

5. David Sigmon

I’ll take one of each. Don’t forget my retired disabled veterans discount. Thank you for braving the crowds and saving me the cost of a plane ticket.
    DS

Hey David….Happy New Year, and thanks for recognizing the sacrifice of sleep on behalf of the VO community…. I think the Blue Spark Digital might be worth trying out.

6. Lisa Rice

Ha! You looked like a kid in a candy story, Dave. What fun! Great look at what’s available for recording on-the-go. The Spark Digital looks mighty tempting to me.

Lisa,

Thanks for noticing my eagerness…it was fun, and the Spark Digital seems to be at a good price-point, too!

7. Billy James

Yeah, the new mic stuff looks cool, but my favorite example of Blue technology is and probably always will be…Hillary Money her own bad self.

Bow-chicka-wow-wow.

Sorry …what were we talking about?

Billy,

Yeah, who says brains and good looks can’t go hand in hand?

Thanks for visiting — as always — Billy!

8. Paul Strikwerda

You do a blog about new mics and what do the guys talk about… 🙂 Hillarious!

BTW That Tiki-thing does look like a snail’s house, doesn’t it?

I agree…funny that Billy has such the hots for that gal… Honestly, I’ll be glad when this week is over! Whew.
      …and I had the SAME THOUGHT about Tiki…the weakest of the 3 technologically, I think.

The Mikey replaces the one that the iPhone 4 made obselete. Will they do the same with the iPhone 5?

Thanks for stopping by, Paul.

DC

9. ethnograph

Any insights on Mikey Digital? Ship-date appears to keep getting pushed back; Blue support does not answer emails on this topic; website isn’t any better; “newsletter” doesn’t seem to ever be sent. Hard to stay a fan in these kinds of conditions. =(

I haven’t heard anything either, and as you can see from Wednesday’s Blog, Blue is apparently working out some kinks in its other products, too.

Thanks for commenting!