The end of Summer and the onset of the busy fall season always brings two emotions for me: excitement and mild panic. I love the change of the seasons, and September signals the end of what can typically be doldrums of Summer business. When school starts, and vacations are over, people for some reason get more serious about their enterprises, and the marketplace always seems to heat up. That’s the excitement.
The mild panic is in recognition of the fact that there are only three months left to the year, and my procrastinations are mounting! The ole “to-do” list is too long…and it’s the 3rd or 4th to-do list I’ve got running concurrently!
Here are a few suggestions for dusting off the unfinished items piling up in your VoiceOver business:
- Who among your clients are dragging their feet with payments? Maybe a gentle reminder is in order.
- Are you keeping up-to-date with accounting? Better done incrementally now, than all-at-once next tax season! (see http://www.moneycrashers.com/best-year-end-tax-prepartion-tips-from-personal-finance-community/)
- Time to dust-off the demo?…maybe upgrade it to something with more modern content?
- What cold-calls, emails, mailers, or other prospective-client approaches are left undone right now? (try HappyGrasshopper?)
- Have you engaged with ANY coaching this year? There are still plenty of opportunities to reserve a place.
- Needed Software upgrades?…and when’s the last time you backed-up your hard drive? (I love Carbonite)
- Have you reached out in service lately?…volunteering your time, talents, or resources to a pro-bono cause?
- Is this when you will finally update that head-shot, bio, and newsletter?
- Are you keeping your mailing lists current?
- Are your Social Media profiles up-to-date? Nothing will peg you as “clueless” than to have something out-of-date with THAT. (GREAT Hubspot article on this: http://blog.hubspot.com/social-media-networks-keep-up-ht)
- Have you asked a trusted sound engineer to evaluate the quality of your day-to-day sound lately?
- If this is the second year in a row you’re unable to get something off the ground…time for a virtual assistant? (try http://assisturegistry.com)
- Did you Google yourself recently? Is your website still Google friendly? (great article here: http://socialmouths.com/blog/2013/09/12/google-marketing-resources/)
- Have you asked your clients for a referral lately?
- Are you a member of a local or online VO community that meets regularly?
I could go on…but you probably have your OWN list of neglected duties. I hope this may have jogged your mind a little.
Share. What have I missed that we could all benefit from?